Security feature vocabulary every buyer should know
Yeah the sticky saved me too. I skipped it at first and asked a dumb noob question that had been answered like ten times already, got flamed pretty good lol. Learned my lesson — now I always use the search bar first before posting anything.
Only thing I'd add is to look for the getting started section when you're actually ready to take your ID photo at home. The lighting part matters way more than I expected, shadows will wreck an otherwise clean shot.
Just joined myself a few weeks back, so I feel you. The best advice I got was to read the sticky at the top of this section — it breaks down a lot of the jargon in plain English. Also, don't sleep on the getting started guide; it's basically a step-by-step tutorial for newbs like us. Before asking any noob question, give the search bar a shot. Honestly, 90% of what I wanted to know was already answered in older threads. Welcome aboard!
Vendor descriptions and review threads use specific terminology that means something precise. Here are the terms that come up most often and what they actually refer to.
Building your vocabulary around these terms makes vendor communication more precise. When you can name the specific feature you want checked — OVI, ghost image placement, laser-engraved tactile zone — vendors can give you accurate answers rather than generic quality assurances. Precise terminology also helps you read forum discussions more accurately and evaluate whether a review is describing something that matters for your specific use case.