UV feature blocked by a surface scratch
No comments yet. Be the first to comment!
Please login to comment on this thread.
Thread Info
Thread Author
JO
joface123
Member since Aug 2025
20
Posts
11
Threads
17
Karma
Secure Payment Methods
Learn about the safest payment methods for online transactions. Bitcoin, gift cards, and more.
Learn More
VVL Vendors
Related Discussions
Complete Guide to ID Security Features - What to Look For
0 replies
State-Specific Technical Requirements - Design Analysis
26 replies
BCS vs Intellicheck Scanner Comparison - Which Catches Fakes in 2025?
0 replies
Barcode Scanning Issues - Troubleshooting Guide
0 replies
Magnetic Stripe Problems and Solutions
0 replies
Secure Communication Guide - Staying Safe Online
0 replies
Forum Moderators
🛡️
AdminFIDV
Administrator
⭐
Sterlingwalkeri
Moderator
⭐
Butter
Moderator
⭐
supermod
Moderator
Community Stats
Total Members:
720
Online Now:
0
Total Threads:
1,803
Total Posts:
6,737
Community Guidelines
New to our community? Read our guidelines for safe and respectful interactions.
Learn More
A card I'd been using had a scratch that I'd thought was just cosmetic. When I tested it under UV for a comparison I was doing, I noticed the scratch was crossing through one of the UV features and disrupting its visibility. Here's what I learned from diagnosing it.
What happened
The scratch was about 2cm long, running diagonally across the state outline UV feature. In normal light, the scratch was faint and barely noticeable. Under 365nm UV, the scratch showed as a dark line cutting through the glowing state outline — the outline was visible on both sides of the scratch but interrupted in the middle by about 4mm.
This is caused by the scratch physically removing or displacing the UV-reactive ink in the scratched area. The surrounding ink fluoresces normally; the scratched zone doesn't because the fluorescent compound has been abraded away.
Functional impact
For most venue checks, this kind of UV damage goes unnoticed — UV lights are used for a quick check, not a detailed inspection. A 4mm gap in a state outline UV feature would only be noticed by someone specifically scrutinizing the UV pattern while comparing against a known-good reference.
For barcode and mag stripe functionality, surface scratches in the printed area don't matter as long as they don't cross the barcode itself. I confirmed my barcode still scanned cleanly.
Prevention vs repair
UV ink damage from scratching is permanent — you can't restore abraded fluorescent compound. Prevention is the only option. A card kept in a sleeve or rigid card holder doesn't accumulate surface scratches. I now immediately sleeve any card I care about preserving, including for UV testing purposes, rather than letting them sit loose in a wallet or drawer where contact with hard surfaces causes gradual damage.
Cards stored in individual hard-shell sleeves that prevent edge contact resist the surface scratching that gradually attenuates UV features over time. The UV layer on most cards is applied as a surface coating rather than embedded in the substrate, making it the most vulnerable feature to physical wear. Cards that receive heavy handling in wallets or pockets show UV feature degradation noticeably faster than cards stored and handled carefully.